tazechip
tazechip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified in general practice with years of experience treating diabetics with multiple other medical conditions
18722459

Hello,I have been diagnosed with under active thyroid for four

Customer Question

Hello,I have been diagnosed with under active thyroid for four years . I am 59 years of age.
I am on 50mgs of levothyroxine. aswell as having asthma,I recently asked for a vitamin deficency test which came back low in vitamins D. and B12 Thyroid test was in the middle so was ok.but I have to go back in november for further tests . I have been taking multi vitamin and B12 tablets.these keep the head aches away?.I have put on at least 5 stone in over15 years. I am now 17stone . I am a self employed joiner/builder all I want to do is go to sleep. I was reading different sites and was wondering if it could also be low testosterone that could also be adding to my problem. weight ,sleep, low sex drive not knowing is driving me to look into different directions. I asked my doctor to see an endocrinologist but was given no answer just blood tests and told yet again to diet .could you please give me some help in what I could do next. Bill Walker
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Bill,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  tazechip replied 2 years ago.
HI Bill and sorry but your question just became available to me. We can continue after this but you need to see an endocrinologist for further evaluation here. First off, unless your TSH level is close to 1.5 or less, you need a higher dose of your levothyroxine. That said, I would also check testosterone and cortisol levels and for all this evaluation an endocrinologist would be a must
tazechip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board certified in general practice with years of experience treating diabetics with multiple other medical conditions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your reply. I am going for more blood tests in a couple of weeks and will ask the doctor for the tests you have advised I should have .As for the endocrinologist ? I will ask but I get the feeling that the surgery does not want to send anyone anywhere if they think that they can treat the patient them selves. I probably will have to go private.what do you think.

regards ***** *****

Expert:  tazechip replied 2 years ago.
Let me know how it goes Bill and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hello dr chip. I have had blood tests done and will get the results tomorrow thursday 30/october/14. will keep you informed.

thanks Bill Walker

Expert:  tazechip replied 2 years ago.
I'll be here Bill
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi, I have got some results from my doctor . the testosterone was10.6 and the cortisol was normal my B12 was normal but i said that i was taking vitamins . I did ask last time to be refered but she didnt say any more on the subject. only to say try to loose weight. looks like I am going to look elsewhere.probably private.if there is anyone who can take me on.

I know what my doctor says is probably right, but until an endocrinologist has examined me i wont give up.

Expert:  tazechip replied 2 years ago.
Was your thyroid checked Bill?