Dr Adi
Dr Adi, Professor
Experience:  Director of the Pediatric Diabetes Clinics at UCSF.
56602461

Hello I suffer from symptoms of low Cortisol. I have had a

Customer Question

Hello I suffer from symptoms of low Cortisol. I have had a saliva test done through out the day, this came back as a flat line, with no morning peak at all. The results did fall with in the upper and lower limit though so the doctor said it was ok. From my research I don't agree. I then had the Cortisol stimulation test which was ok no signs of adrenal fatiuge. So my question is why do I not produce extra cortisol on a morning and do I also produce extra cortisol and stressful times? Please only answer this if you are an experienced endocrinologist
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
A surge in the morning is typical, this is a counter hormonal surge in people and is typical after sleep.
Cortisol IS the stress hormone, any stress will elevated it.
ACTH testing does not rule out adrenal fatigue.
Adrenal fatigue is still a theoretical concept and is based on saliva testing.
ACTH stimuilation is to diagnose things like Cushings and has nothing to do with adrenal fatigue.
It will be normal even with adrenal fatigue
further questions?