DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My husband has been ill months with symptoms that suggest

Customer Question

My husband has been ill months with symptoms that suggest that he has adrenaline in his body all day & night. He is unable to sleep properly & the medication prescribed by his GP to aid sleep & some relaxation during the day, seems to be totally blocked by the adrenaline.He has apparently common symptoms such as flushed face,weak shaky legs,tremors & understandable anxiety.
My question is this;
Is there any medication, hormone treatment or anything to decrease the flow of adrenaline?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
.
No, that is not quite correct thinking about this.
Over production of adrenaline is probably not the cause here.
Hyperthyroidism would be more likely.
In any case, both can be measured.
One would never treat on a presumption.
He needs the following tests.
Am cortisol
Thyroid studies
Testosterone panel and shbg
Only this gives an initial complete hormonal picture.
If over production of actual adrenaline were suspected, due to headaches, hypertension, and hot flashes, then serum metanephrines would be done. This condition is from an adrenal tumor that would have to be removed. It is rare.
Thyroid would be treated with medication.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.