DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Endocrinology Expert
55099014

I have a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome . I am

I have a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome . I am not overweight and hence was told it was 'slim' version. My sister has the same. My symptoms are acne and hirtuism. My question is in relation to the hirtsuism-i have had laser hair removal on my face for 12 years. The hair always grows back, so i keep topping up laser treatments. This.is v expensiVe. I've tried eflornathine with no results. What can i do about this? my doctor won't prescribe hormones like birth control due to my history of severe anxiety and OCD. However, years ago.i took a diannete with no results to hair growth (but with mental health side effects ). There must be something else? I've never had blood tests, my diagnosis was on the basis of a scan of ovaries which.showed cyts, and the.hair growth. Also, as a second question, if i wanted to get laser hair removal on my legs, would they respond in a 'pcos way' with the hair always coming back, or in a 'non pcos' way with lasting results as the area is not a place that only pcos women grow hair (therefore it's not hair growth caused by imbalanced hormones). Thank you
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 2 years ago.
still need help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi. I haven't actually received an initial response yet?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm not sure I understand. I haven't received an initial response, but then I got a message saying 'your expert needs more information', but in the message it just says 'still need help'??.

Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 2 years ago.
what does birth control have to do with anxiety and OCD?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Birth control pills can induce mood disturbances such as low mood which isn't a good idea for me as I am on anti depressants for my OCD

Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 2 years ago.
have you ever tried them?
I don't find that to be a common side effect at all
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. I got very low and cried a lot. Many friends have told me they get those symptoms too. I now have the mirina coil as my GP says it's v common for oral hormones to cause mild mental health problms

Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 2 years ago.
have you tried aldactone and metformin?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. What are they?

Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 2 years ago.
aldactone is med that is used to combat the hirsutism effects and the acne of PCOS
ask your doctor
the combination of this and metformin are powerful agents against PCOS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, and you don't think they have any side effects that may cause me any problems? Would you be able to answer the part of my question about the laser hair removal on my legs, before we finish please?

Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 2 years ago.
No I don't think they will
they have other side effects potentially but nothing to do with mood
As for your legs, no matter what you do you will need to do it again. The laser removal never sticks. Not even on people without PCOS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I know it' s not actually permanent for anybody, but I'm willing to pay the price if my legs responded like a non-pcos person. Does my hormone imbalance affect the hair on my legs or is it just affecting the hair in pcos places like face and chest? If it responded in a non pcos way I could have a top up treatment once a year, however, if it responded in the way my face does, the amount of treatments I'd need to top up would be too expensive.

Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 2 years ago.
It affects the hair on your legs but less so than everywhere else.
It might help better than on your face. There is a chance
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, thanks. So, just to clarify (last question). . . . am I right in concluding that the places on my body that I'm pretty much wasting my money on getting laser are face, chest and other 'male area' regions, but that places where it is normal for women to have hair such as legs, under arms, bikini line are possibly going to respond less well than non pcos women, but do stand an ok chance of responding well to laser.

Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that is correct
I agree with that statement Laura
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 2 years ago.
I appreciate the good rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)