Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My partner hasnt been well yearsher periods stopped and she gain

Customer Question

my partner hasnt been well for 3 years
her periods stopped and she gained weight she started developing a lot of facial hair also hairs on her chest/tummy her gp refused to run tests and told her to lose weight
she tried everything from going to the gym and joining slimming world but nothing the weight did not shift by this time she fell into depression and started suffering with anxiety and panic attacks and was scared to leave the house she went to see a councillor and gradually worked through the anxiety however medically nothing changed her gp again refused to run any tests and said lose weight by this time she couldnt take anymore and changed drs surgery within 1 month of being at new drs she was diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome and since being on medication the weight has started to drop off, is there procedures she can take against her previous practice for not investigating what was going on with her
altho her periods havent returned is there any further things that
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

that is unfortunate that her first doctor did not test her for polycystic ovarian syndrome

some doctors still don't understand this diagnosis.

she can try to hire a solicitor to sue the first doctor for not making the diagnosis

her symptoms were pretty clear that she had polycystic ovarian syndrome.

I am glad she has been diagnosed and is getting treatment now

she might need to go on birth control pills to help regulate her cycle

she might benefit from metformin and type 2 diabetes medications to help her body's insulin work better

she still needs to diet and exercise

and get her thyroid levels checked to make sure they are normal