Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Following a complicated campylobacter infection approx.

Customer Question

Hello....following a complicated campylobacter infection approx. 2 years ago and associated diagnostic blood tests, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and progressively medicated to 100 mug of levothyroxine which is what I continue to take now. I am suffering other awful symptoms eg muscle aches, headaches neck aches and lethargy.most of the time feeling depressed with it and think these symptoms are related to the medication. I have been to see my GP and not offered any other options. My thyroid level is 1.2 and I am sixty seven years of age. Any help or advice please? I am not on any other medication and have not seen or been referred to an endocrinologist. I take the thyroxine at night!
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
I assume that the thyroid level that you referenced is the TSH level, correct?
Have you had any other blood work done?
If so, what has been done?
If this is the TSH and there has not been any other blood tests done, then the next step would be further evaluation. This should include a general chemistry profile and a blood count, and may also include a CPK and magnesium level. Depending upon the findings on exam and these intitial blood tests, additional testing, such as of adrenal function, also may be apropriate.

If your GP is not willing to perform further evaluation, then you should request referral to a specialist.