Dr Adi
Dr Adi, Professor
Experience:  Director of the Pediatric Diabetes Clinics at UCSF.
56602461

I have really bad PMS symptoms and need advice on how to

Customer Question

I have really bad PMS symptoms and need advice on how to treat them. I have regular periods every 23 days and about a week before I'm due I get spotting, I feel constantly exhausted (even if I rest and do very little), my mood goes down, I get very anxious for no reason, I get unreasonable (I know I am but cannot control it), my blood pressure drops (it's normally quite low anyway so I feel really weak and tired; today was 104/69), I get really bad palpitations (which sometimes even wake me up; no heart problems though), I get headaches/migraines, acne on my neck and back, feel constantly hungry and thirsty, to list but a few, and I just feel really unwell and miserable for about a week (our of every three weeks!). In the past doctors have prescribed me high dose of vit B6 (no effect), Fluoxetine (Prozac) which also did very little (I was told to stop it, then to start it again but the second time round my body wouldn't tolerate it). Any hormones (the pill - incl. POP) I've taken in the last few years (including the Mirena coil) have given me extra side effect (mostly depression-type symptoms) so those are out of the question. (I tend to get extreme reactions from most prescribed medications). Recently someone suggested Agnus Castus but I'm not sure it that's got any proven effects. Any advice please?

Category: Endocrinology