Dr Adi
Dr Adi, Professor
Experience:  Director of the Pediatric Diabetes Clinics at UCSF.
56602461

Strong belief is that my thyroid is overloading my badly

Customer Question

Strong belief is that my thyroid is overloading my badly weekened adrenal glands Cortisol total 20 Dhea .06 as units adrenal stress test. My normal? Cortisol is level is under 15 which is the main reason I m in my 9th year of Metastatic prostate cancer. However in a severe bout of diarrhoea last June (5 weeks of just watery liquid) my Cortisol topped 45 fighting the inflammation and overlapping this I had sinus problems which still persist and I believe that is why my Cortisol level has not dropped to its previous level. I have dark grey depression d little sleep plus others Unlike past hypothyroidism episodes my eyebrows remain full,my voice has not deepened and I have the ability to write legibly Recently increased my lithium my thyroxin and added 10 mcg of T3 all opened the door to the ‘sunshine’ then slammed it in my face again within a few days. The only way forward I can see is to try a small dose of DHEA 5 to 15 units All  scientific material in pub med etc point out a small possiblty at these DEAH levels of some  DEAH converting into testosterone etc Metastatic cancer is 9 years old and I have zlodex injections What are your thoughts on DEAH and if not are any other route open to me? Regards ***** *****

Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

was your cortisol levels check at 7 or 8AM in a calm room?
you need also your ACTH levels checked as well and you mgiht need ACTH stimulation test to see if your adrenal glands are working properly.

treatment for metastatic prostate cancer often include LH/RH agonist like lupron or gloserilin which tricks the pituitary gland to stop making FSH and LH hormones which stop telling the testicles to make testosterone.

lithium is used for bipolar disorder. do you have bipolar?

what has your TSH and T3 and T4 levels been?