DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Endocrinology Expert
55099014

Feeling unwell -since May I have had shingles, acute loss of

Customer Question

Feeling unwell -since May I have had shingles, acute loss of hearing with perforation and discharge, impetigo and this is my 3rd chest infection. Feel tired, slow sometimes other times palpitations shaking. No body hair left, eyebrows disappearing, In May TSH 6,9 Free t4 13pmol/l basophilia eosinophilia. This time GFR 73 Eosinophlia increased, TPO<1 and TSH 1.3. Doctor has given me doxycycline but says the high TSH was a blip?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloTSH is still high if you are treated.6.9 was not a blip, it was too high.I would repeat this.In patients treated with thyroid, .8 is optimal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But I haven't been treated. It did this massive swing on its own.

Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for requesting me. Did you only have one 6.9 reading or more readings?
DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor
Experience: Endocrinology Expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the one in May was 6.9 with Free T4 0f 13. This one showed TSH to be 1.3 so they didn't to a free t4. But I still have very frequent infections, sleepiness incredibly stiff muscles pins and needles in fingers and wrists, breathlessness and lack of energy dry skin and eyebrow loss. I feel this is FAR TOO big a swing in 4 months to be normal?

Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
so the most recent shows a TSH of 1.3?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes that is right.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What I am asking is how can it swing that much and could it b hashimotos? Thanks

Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
It could be. However, this is pretty common to swing like that. I see it all the time.I would ask for hashimoto antibodies
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. So does TSH vary in normal subjects -if so -what on earth is the purpose of a normal range and how was it ever established? So youdon't think it is hypothyroidism?

Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure if it is hypo. sometimes it goes hypo then comes back to normal. sometimes it vascillates and goes wacky. You will need to monitor over time. The normal range is somewhat arguable in terms of thyroid. But yours is definitely normal at 1.3
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok-maybe it has resolved then. Thank you very much.

Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

welcome. just keep checking it