Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

There. I have got inflamed tonsils with pus on the

Customer Question

Hi there. I have got inflamed tonsils with pus on the tonsils themselves. It is worse on one side than the other. This illnesss began on vacation in the middle east a few weeks ago with an upset stomach. The throat then became worse at the airport and
on the way home. My stomach has now fully resolved. Upon return to the UK I took a dose of Zithromax for 3 days which improved the condition but I still had discomfort on swallowing on my right side. I then took a dose of 7 days of Clarithromycin which has
led to the swallowing pain going away. HOWEVER, my doctor still says my tonsils are a bit red and as I said, have pus. In terms of background I have had tonsil issues previously as an adult and it is quite possible this coating of pus on my right tonsil is
ALWAYS there but I just cannot recall. My doctor has taken swabs of my throat and put something up my nose to take a culture. They also are testing immunoglobulin levels. I have had no fever or night sweats throughout the illness AND no rashes. My main actual
symptom now is bad breath. Questions: a)Do tonsils like mine potentially remain infected even if you treat them with antibiotics? b)If the infection was viral can it sometimes take 2-3 weeks to clear up? c)Is my condition a potential sign that the tonsils
may need to be removed if I am feeling OK but the tonsils are still red/inflamed? d)What would low immunoglobulin levels indicate? My doctor said this could mean my immune response was not as strong but did not indicate how you might treat that? As I said,
feeling definitely better but can tell the tonsils are not quite right.
Category: Endocrinology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi - i may have put this in the wrong category as i probably need an ENT specialist?
Expert:  tazechip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--just now got your question so do you still need help with it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  tazechip replied 1 year ago.
OK--could I see a photo of your tonsils on this page?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok trying now!
i have attached
as you can see my right tonsil has pus on it while the left also has a patch
I have NO pain swallowing but it just doesnt quite feel right.
it is almost as if the antibiotics have cured some of the infection but not all of it.
does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
better pix
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pls confirm receipt of both pixes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi did you get them?
Expert:  tazechip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay
Got them--thanks
Any problem with heartburn or indigestion?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - sorry i have been away so did not answer this question. In short, a consultant I saw in london has a strong suspicion this is reflux and has prescribed me Omperazole x 2 daily/20mg.
The condition has improved but I am still getting this odd throat discomfort every now and then and I can still see a bit of whiteness on the tonsils though no pain whatsoever from them.
I suppose my questions are
a)If this is silent reflux how long does it last?
b)is Omperazole usable for a long period of time?
c)Is there any merit in further investigations at this stage?
All my bloods, immunoglobulin and swabs (throat and nose) showed as normal
So this does seem to be relating to the stomach somehow?
Finally, I did have a bout of Giardia back in the summer - it played havoc with my stomach so wonder if this is still a lingering symptom?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
a)If this is silent reflux how long does it last?Silent reflux can last for a long long period of time.b)is Omperazole usable for a long period of time?Yes omeprazole can be used for a long period of time, weeks, months or even more. It is a very safe drug.c)Is there any merit in further investigations at this stage?I do not think any further investigations are required at this stage as you have been thoroughly investigated already.Giardia has nothing to do with your current symptoms.Let me know if you have more questions Gideon :)Please do rate me by clicking on one of the rating options.Take care Kindest regards