DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Endocrinology Expert
55099014

Madam,I do not go out much with friends as i cannot

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Madam,
I do not go out much with friends as i cannot tolerate the after effects of alcohol. I meet up with them during the day but really want to relax and have a few alcohol drinks with them on the evening. After only a few drinks i have really bad nausea, headaches and fatigue, the day after, which is the usual symptoms of a hangover.
I have read that alcohol depletes the body of alot of essential vitamins and minerals, what vitamins and minerals are most at risk of being depleted? Am i okay taking a liquid form multi vitamin and mineral supplement before bed after a night of fairly heavy drinking. I have contacted the pharmacist about this who said please consult a doctor. It does not say also that this cannot be used with alcohol on the bottle of the multi vitamins and minerals.
Can someone please advise me on this as i have been recommended that if i am sensitive to alcohol that a multi vitamin or mineral supplement along with a few glasses of water may help and actually reduce harm to the liver. I would appreciate your response, as it really is making me depressed i cannot go out with friends much. I work really hard during the day and i want to overcome this but i still will not over-drink regular i just want to go out maybe 2 or 3 times a month and have a fairly heavy drinking session with slightly more than recommended.
I would be grateful for some help on this and hope i will not be judged the question is extremely important for me that i get appropriate and accurate information. I really hope and pray someone can help me.
Kind Regards,
Abby XXX
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello Abby,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
Can I help?any other medical issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for getting back to me.I have no other medical issues.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
do you want my help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes please if you could give me a detailed reply to my initial question, that would be appreciated.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
,
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
are you of asian decent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a *****, *****tish, female.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
You probably lack the enzyme to digest alcohol in your liver
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right, thanks for the diagnosis.Am i okay taking a liquid form multi vitamin and mineral supplement before bed after a night of fairly heavy drinking?
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
There is really no way to reverse this. It is a genetic lack of an enzyme.You should try to avoid alcohol with high sulfites though like wine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As you said there is no way of reversing this i do not dispute that.My question was am i okay taking a multi vitamin before bed, to help lessen the symptoms in the morning due to the genetic lack of an enzyme.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
absolutely you are
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so a multi vitamin with alcohol should not harm the liver, will this still work as normal?
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it will still work normally and shouldn't harm the liver.
DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor
Experience: Endocrinology Expert