Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 48 years old. I feel I have to exercise most days to keep

Customer Question

I am 48 years old. I feel I have to exercise most days to keep my weight down. I do 2-3 swim sessions a week of between 70-100 lengths at a time (I don't get my hair wet) and on top of this I visit the gym 2-3 times a week for 1-2 hours of vigourous exercise. My hair has become so dry and brittle that I have stopped washing it now in the hope that my natural oils may kick in. I have started taking vitamin supplements such as calcium to try to help with this. I regularly suffer with insomnia. I saw my GP who gave me a blood test to see if I was menopausal but the results showed that I am still ovulating and my periods are regular. Can you help diagnose me please? From Louise.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 11 months ago.
Hello Louise,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 11 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Were any other blood tests done at the same time, such as thyroid blood tests?
There are several considerations in this situation.
There are some systemic conditions that can cause dry and brittle hair, and it is good that your doctor has excluded the possibility of menopause. It also would be appropriate to check a general metabolic profile and a thyroid profile, and this would usually be done at the same time as the blood work for menopause.
If these blood tests have not been done, then that would be the appropriate next step.
If these blood tests have already been done, then it would be appropriate to consider scalp conditions that can affect the hair secondarily, such as inflammatory conditions or certain infections of the scalp.
If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.