DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Endocrinology Expert
55099014

Now I've had problems with overwhelming fatigue

For years now I've had problems with overwhelming fatigue and a long list of unspecific symptoms that go with it. After excluding problems with thyroid, depression, anxiety and a lot of other things, I was told I most likely have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (in the UK first by my GP, then ME/CFS clinic). However my new GP in Germany wanted to run some additional tests. At my last appointment, as I had been having a lot of heart "problems" recently (mainly palpitations, which I have also had for years and which were several years ago diagnosed as ectopic beats, but these have increased in frequency, severity and length recently) he ordered a 24h ECG and additional blood tests (after speaking to a Endocrinologyst). The GP told me that I also get periods of really fast heart rate - up to over 130, with average over 80. My BP also seems to go up and down a but (it has so far always been really low, with my pulse 60-70 max), and he can't really see a reson for it. And I just got the results of the blood test today and apparently my Sodium (NAU) is really low (48.0 mmol/d with normal values 120-220). My GP's suggestion, taking everything into consideration (including the fact that I had a C-section 10 years go and had to be given blood - which apparently may be the important factor for some reason), is that it may be Addison's, or another hormonal issue. I now have an appointment in with the Endocrinologist in May). But I have to admit I couldn't quite follow what the GP was saying (language problems), I would like to ask for help clarifying the Sodium issue, and perhaps also a view on the whole issue. Thank you in advance.
Category: Endocrinology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just looked up my results from a year ago, anf the Sodium value was within the norm.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any other medical issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Just the overwhelming fatigue etc.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
I agree with your doctor.This is a great findAddison's disease means your adrenal glands are not working.The adrenals produce energy making hormones like adrenaline but also control sodium balance in the body
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Do I need to get additional tests by the Endocrinologyst to confirm?
What is the tratment for it?
As I said, I have an appointment scheduled for May - there is no rush, or is there?
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
yes you will need additional tests.treatment is replacing the lost hormones.That is a long time to wait.you can go into adrenal crisis
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What us adrenal crisis? And what do you suggest I do?
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
I think you need to ask your current doctor to put you on a low dose hydrocortisone orally. 5 mg three times a day until you see the endo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I go about asking him? Don't really want to be telling him what to do... And another question, tge low sodium - what can I do about that in the meantime? Can this in itself cause a problem?
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
the sodium needs treated with steroids as wellJust ask if you can go on meds for the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help with the above - I just have one final question - if I may. My GP has now prescribed me Prednisolon 5mg and said that I should see an improvement pretty much instantantly, or if there is no change, this would mean that I don't have Addison's. I've been taking it for a few days now and see no change, other than feeling a bit "funny" in the head. How long should I give it a go?