Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have 3 children, 2 of which are quite shorter than their

Customer Question

hi I have 3 children, 2 of which are quite shorter than their peer group. My daughter aged 14 & son aged 11 1/2. I am concerned with their growth hormone. they have grown over 5cm in last year. I am 5'5" and my husband is 5'8". my daughter is 4'7 & m son is 4'3. Please advise
Category: Endocrinology
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
***********
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 9 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dear Shantal I'm still waiting! If unable to assist, please refund. thank u
Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialties differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 9 months ago.
HelloYou would need to have them referred to an endocrinologist.You and your husband are short stature, and your children normally would be as well. It is unlikely that this is a growth hormone problem.Your daughter is not likely to benefit from hormone therapy as this point.Your son might if he qualifies. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. Why would my daughter not benefit? Also, what are the side effects & is treatment successful & worth the risk?
She is 14 and it is likely that there would be no effect given her age. However, the endocrinologist can determine that.Very little in the way of side effects, usually, but joint pain can occurs, high blood sugars, etc.Not usually when monitored.Treatment rarely adds more than .5 to 1 inch to the height outcomes.