Dr Adi
Dr Adi, Professor
Experience:  Director of the Pediatric Diabetes Clinics at UCSF.
56602461

I would like to ask a question about my son he is 17. He

Customer Question

Hi I would like to ask a question about my son he is 17. He had a scan at 14 that showed he had delayed bone age of one year. Which explained his short stature and delayed puberty. Puberty began age 15. He is concerned about his final adult height as is currently 5ft8inches he hasn't grown in the last 10 months. I am 5tf 5 inches & his father is just under 6ft. SGA children do generally catch up, but their bone age can surpass their chronological age, negating any extra growing time. It is important to monitor an SGA child's bone age to ensure the window isn't missed. I asked our GP about having another bone scan to clarify this, but she said it isn't necessary. His bloods were normal. I asked about his growth hormone level and she said it was fine. I have left this for several months now but I'm wondering if I should seek a private specialist. Any advice would be greatly appreciated kind regards ***** *****
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidhis height of 5'8" is not considered short stature for his age and with his parents heights.I understand you want him to grow as tall as possible.and your son will continue to growevery child grows at their own rate.his doctors are not worried about his growth rate and height.you can seek a private specialist and then can do more blood tests and xrays,but I suspect that these tests will show normal and he will continue to grow as his body doeslet me know if you have questions.