DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My daughter has been diagnosed with hypothyroidism while pregnant.

Customer Question

My daughter has been diagnosed with hypothyroidism while pregnant. This occurred with her first pregnancy (Grandson is now 8) and this problem resolved with Thyroxin after a few months. Her second pregnancy was fraught with very unstable blood sugar levels involving collapsing, fainting and generally being unwell. Second Grandson is now 18 months old and again my daughter has been diagnosed with Pregnancy induced Hypothyroidism and is on Thyroxin. She is extremely active and as well as looking after her family she works in the evenings for 4 hours a day-manual work-and rides and care for her horse. She is also following a fitness, healthy eating plan. She is completely unable to control her weight and is very large around her middle and neck. Should her doctor do more detailed tests? I.e. TSR, T3, T4-I think that's what they are.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloTSH is how one follows hypothroidism.Many doctors under treat.So an optimal TSH is between .8 ant 1, but the labs say up to 4.5 is normal, which is actually quite hypothyroid and it would not be easy to lose weight with this level.Have your daughter find out her exact TSH value. If it is over 2, she needs a higher dose of medication. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.