DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have a diagnosis of hypothyroidism and also depression.Im

Customer Question

Hi I have a diagnosis of hypothyroidism and also depression.Im on 100mcg Eltroxin daily and an antidepressant.I can barely function I'm so exhausted all the time.Also have terrible abdominal bloating that I sometimes look 6 months pregnant.Just not sure whether my exhaustion is a result of the thyroid or depression or both,please help.
Category: Endocrinology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My other symptoms are shortness of breath,high blood pressure,generalised aches and pains all over,feeling cold,headaches, ankle oedema.I also have very low IAG antibodies and was told I was probably born with that and nothing you can do to help it.My thyroid antibodies were very high so I presume this means my hypothyroidism is caused by auto immune illness.Could I have Hashimotos?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HIIt is likely hashimotos, since you have hypothyrodism.That is a main cause.What is your most recent TSH level?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was 7.7 on 02/12/2015.Thyroid Peroxidase An were 815.Immunioglibulins IgA were less than 0.50.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
OKSo it needs to come down.You are very hypothyroid.TSH needs to be between .8 and 1.Your dose needs to be increased gradually, with a TSH every 6 weeks until you reach that goal or feel a lot better. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.