DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Endocrinology Expert
55099014

An adrenal tumour (benign) was found during a CT scan done

Customer Question

An adrenal tumour (benign) was found during a CT scan done as part of assessment when vulvular cancer was diagnosed. The cancer had not spread, though has returned.
The tumour was removed (along with the whole adrenal gland). The surgeon made a comment about it being obvious I had Cushing's Syndrome but no other doctor has talked of this. My cortisol levels - one in advance of the operation and one after a few weeks of taking extra tabs after the operation) were supposedly ok. BUT - if feel awful. I still have awful leg weakness, exhaustion, lack of concentration and can't think straight. I'm in a vicious circle - I feel so bad that I can't do exercise or eat well and know that this makes me feel this bad.
20 years ago I was diagnosed with Graves Disease - and after a couple of years of not responding to treatment had a total thyroidectomy. The wonderful endocrinologist at the time said I had had it for years but previous blood tests had not found it as the thyroid levels fluctuate and I had been at top end of normal.
My question - how long does it take to recover - do I need more meds to get me out of this horrendous cycle.. I can't even really articulate my question - just help.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
You need to really get your hormone levels thoroughly checkedyour body might be used to high cortisol and now be in insufficiency
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this questionPlease don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it.If you have more questions, just reply
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. After the op to remove the adrenal gland with the tumour I was on steroid tablets for a few weeks. I then had a blood test and was told the results were within normal range so to stop taking the tablets. (I did not see the endocrinologist). I think the results were at the low end of normal but not sure. I am wondering though if after years of high cortisol my body is used to that and even a normal result could mean insufficiency in my case? I guess I am worried that another 'normal' result will mean no further investigation. I've read about a ACHT test - would that be more appropriate?
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
You are correct on both accounts. Normal could be low for sure
Also an cortisol stimulation test would be ideal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
`Thank you again. I'm not sure how long it will take for me to get the test- and persuade the doctor that I should have one - I can't carry on feeling this bad - my company is suffering and I really can't focus on anything let alone work. I still have a lot of the steroid tablets I was given after the operation. Could I take them for a few days - first would it help, and second would it confuse the result of future test?
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
I would not start anything until you see a doctor