Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My HbA1c level remains 70 mmol despite a fairly disciplined

My HbA1c level remains 70 mmol despite a fairly disciplined diet and, as a long standing male age 76 type 2 diabetes patient, 2x500mg Metformin 2ce daily. All other investigations are within normal ranges. Gliclazide is advised as an additional medication. I also take daily simvastatin, pirandopril and amlodipine. What extra risk of hypoglycaemia will arise from addition of gliclazide and what elementary precautions should I take to provide for that?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.There is some risk of hypoglycemia with gliclazide I agree and the way that you can reduce your risk is by regular monitoring of your blood glucose levels two to three times a day at least i.e. once fasting, once two hours after your lunch and once two hours after your dinner.You should keep some sweets near you all the time so that if you have symptoms of low glucose like heart palpitations, sweating, trembling, headache or reduced concentration that you should take that immediately but the main precaution is regular monitoring.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards