DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Endocrinology Expert
55099014

Due to being on statins annual blood tests included TSH and

Customer Question

Due to being on statins annual blood tests included TSH and T4. These tests were done in January of 2007, 2008, 2009 & 2010 and TSH results were stable at 1.3, 1.3, 1.3 and 1.5 and T4 were around 17. Patient had no symptoms and was well. Late 2010 started to feel unwell with anxiety, dizziness, palitaions and tremor and TSH .094 & T4 14.3 As these results were regarded as being within normal range thyroid disorder was not considered. Prescribed anti-depressants and and then beta blockers Symptoms got worse and include confusion, memory loss, insomnia, depression phobia etc During this time TSH levels fell to around 0.7 and T4 fell to around 13. In May 2015 patient admitted to local Cornorary Care Unit with Atrial Fibrillation and thyrotoxicosis later diagnosed as Graves Disease. GP's were looking at each blood test result on an individual basis and concluded each time that they were all normal or satisfactory?. My question is this "Had they checked medical history could this trend of overactive thyroid disorder been detected earlier?" Thank You
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this questionThe short answer is No. Unfortunately not.Many people have TSH levels and T4 in this range and they vary and fluctuate over timeNo one could have predicted that.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/Thanks for using justanswer.com