Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

HelloI am soon to be 43. I think I may have some kind of

Customer Question

I am soon to be 43. I think I may have some kind of metabolism damage and hormone imbalance after dieting and taken exercise to the next level to prepare for 2 bodybuilding shows back to back . After taking a few weeks off diet and exercise for about 3 weeks after the last show and put on 6 kg ( I am now the heaviest I have ever been ) my body is not responding when I Ve now gone back to a sensible diet and back to exercise like before . The weight gas not shifted at all for the past 4 months and wonder what I should do ? Does it sound like I have damaged my metabolism ?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 7 months ago.
HelloI do not think you have damaged anything.But you do need to check thyroid function.YOur doctor can order this test.TSH and T4, a blood test.If TSH is 2.5 you can be hypothyroid and this can be the reason for the problem.Other potential hormone testing:sex hormone paneladrenal hormone panel. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you . I will have this checked . If the hormonal imbalance is the case , can this be rectified through medicine in a short term or will it take a long time for my body to get back to normal ? Also is there such thing as irreversible metabolic damage and could this happen if I push my body to low body fat levels again for a show ? ( I must point out that my diet was still adequate in calories just the exercise was more intense for a few weeks )
I don't think you did any damage.Thyroid problems require long term replacement therapy.It takes weeks or months to stabiliize. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.