Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My son is 29. And has not been feeling himself lately.he

Customer Question

Hi my son is 29. And has not been feeling himself lately.he says he is tired a lot of the time. He works as a police officer but has went on sick leave. His blood tests have all been fine including thyroid except his prolactin which is double what it should be. He has a lump near his nipple which scan should it was breast tissue growth.We are waiting for results from an MRI but we are frantic with worry .my husband was diagnosed with thyroid cancer at 38 and it took them. 5 months to get a diagnosis. I have read about small benign tumers on pituary gland could be a cause .
Category: Endocrinology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His level of prolactin was about 500. Dr said about double what they should be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.I am sorry to hear about your son.Raised prolactin levels can be due to a number of causes and is something that does not necessarily mean a tumor in the brain.To give you an idea of the things that can cause raised prolactin here is a link for you to read up: http://www.hormone.org/questions-and-answers/2010/hyperprolactinemiaIt is mandatory to have a MRI of the pituitary done to make sure a pituitary tumor is ruled out but even if there is a small pituitary tumor in the brain it can be treated without surgery with medications that will shrink the tumor.The breast tissue that he is having is called as gynecomastia and in the vast majority of cases the cause of this is not known and happens very commonly in men of various age groups but can also be associated with raised prolactin particularly if this is a recent development.Let me know if you have more questions.Rate me by clicking on one of the rating options when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for your reply .the MRI showed something on the pituitary gland but very small so they couldn't defiantly say it was or was not a small tumor. Son can not get an appointment with an endo. For two months. And dr will not give him any Meds to lower his levels his breast growth on one side getting bigger. This has only been happening recently with his prolactin being high
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
This question has appeared again on the question list, but it is unclear what further question you are asking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I was just trying to get an opinion and what I should do .
Will there be long term effects if he is not seen for two months.
And wondered why his gp can't prescribe his medicine
There is no long term health effects from an elevated prolactin level for a couple months, other than the symptoms that are caused by the elevated prolactin. A two month delay in addressing a possible tumor is also not a risk, since this is so small that it cannot be definitely said that it is or is not a tumor. So, he may continue to feel bad because of the delay, but there is no other long term health effects. It is difficult to know why the GP will not prescribe any medicine, although the most common reason is that the GP may not feel comfortable prescribing any medicine in this situation because it is outside of the usual scope of practice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it help him if he took vitamin e zinc orotate and some mucuna pruriens or can you recommend anything he can do to maybe drop his prolactin levels.
Will the lump in his breast go away once he has medication. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response and followup questions.I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options on the top right hand corner before we proceed.Kindest regards