Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Our 14yr old daughter has recently been diagnosed with graves

our 14yr old daughter has recently been diagnosed with graves disease and we are having treatment although we feel the frequency of the appointments with the consultant are too far apart the problem we have is the fact we were prescribed carbimazole 6 x 5mg per day and propanonol which we are using along to keep her heart rate down at the moment we are using 2 x 10mg AM & 1 x 10mg PM our quandary is we don't know how long we can keep up with the propananol safely as her thyroxin levels have come down but her heart rate is still high ??
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.Propranolol is just for symptomatic relief and if she still has heart palpitations, I would recommend continuing on propranolol.It usually takes a few weeks to a few months, after the normalization of the thyroid hormone levels for such symptoms to actually start to improve.So I would, at the present moment, continue with her medications and give it sometime.I am sure that with time her symptoms will improve.In the meantime, I would recommend repeating her thyroid hormone levels every six months initially until they are in the normal range.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end at the top right-hand-corner.Kindest regards
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
This session is open for any number of further questions.I would appreciate a rating by clicking on one of the stars as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response it is helpfull to have a professional opinion as we feel left in the dark a bit with it all .
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr SH
I had a footnote saying the dialogue is still open we have asked for some more bloods to be taken to check thyroxin levels etc as my daughter is desperate to get back to doing sport and we can't get an appt with the consultant for a while although we hope we can get a telephone appt once results are through would you mind us passing results to you also ??
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is open but can you please leave a rating before we proceed.Thank you
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Please pass on the results to me when you have them with you.Regards