DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Endocrinology Expert
55099014

I am 16 years old and my voice still hasn't finished breaking

Hi. I am 16 years old and my voice still hasn't finished breaking, even though I have appeared to stop growing. For four years now (ever since puberty really) it has always been inconsistent. For example at times it is really croaky, other times squeaky or the words just don't sound. It has led to huge social anxiety over the years and finally I have decided enough is enough. I know most people say time is the cure but I have waited four years now and still nothing has happened. I would like to know if there is anything that can be done so I am able to talk normally again. I am prepared to take the most drastic of actions, as long as it results in a better outcome. Is there anything (and I mean ANYTHING) that can be done to sort this out? And if so am I right to be asking a endocrinologist, or should I be asking someone else, such as an ENT specialist or a speech therapist? Thank you.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this questionThis is pretty normal to still crackbut I recommend you see a speech therapistthat is an easy cure with no side effectslet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/Thanks for using justanswer.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for answering. That's said, I would love to know the exact detail/name of this potential cure, as well as the availability. I know this is not your preferred area but it would really mean a lot if you could let me know. Thanks again!
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
The therapy would simply be training you on voice modulationSo voice modulation therapy by any licensed speech therapist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Sorry to continue to pester you but) is this a fast process, and is there any physical treatment involved? Thanks again.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
This is not a fast process. It is like physical therapy for your voiceIt can take a few weeks
DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor
Experience: Endocrinology Expert