wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

Good Evening,Two years ago I have been treated to radioactive

Customer Question

Good Evening,
Two years ago I have been treated to radioactive therapy due to hyperthyroidism.
I am now on thyroxin 75mcg daily. Started from 150mcg.
My recent blood test results:
TSH: 9.45 (range: 0.27 - 4.2)
T4: 25.2 (range: 12-22)
What does that mean?
I suffer with a bad PMS, mood swings, palpitations and hair loss. I am also on propranolol up to 120mg/ day
Many Thanks,
Monica
Category: Endocrinology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello Monica,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.Your tests are a bit strange....but this is why it is important to know exactly when you took your thyroid medication prior to your lab testing and, sometimes, how you have been taking it in the recent past.The high TSH means that your body thinks it needs more thyroid hormone (which you now get in pill form)The higher than normal T4 means this subset of thryoid hormone is slightly above normal levels so you body shouldn't need anymore thyroid hormone....But your test results do not show all values:There is no mention of your free T4 levels, your Free T4 index or T3 value.So, Monica. What should you do?I would obtain a print out of all your lab tests. Then call your prescribing doctor (endocrinologist) and ask her to explain what is going on. Many doctors (myself incuded) would be happy to meet with you in the office for a brief conference on these sorts of concerns or even talk with you on the phone, on skype or email.That being said, with your mood swings (although this could be from your PMS), palpitations and -- especially -- your hair loss I would think your thyroid levels may be out of whack a bit.Here is an excellent article from a highly respected source that you might find interesting:http://thyroidpharmacist.com/articles/how-to-get-accurate-lab-tests-when-taking-thyroid-medicationsDoes this make sense to you?It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Many thanks for your answer. I am taking 75mcg every morning, half an hour before my breakfast as advised. They only changed my dose about six weeks ago from 100mcg.
Strange enough I had two test carried on on the last week. One last Wednesday and second on Saturday - the figures are from Saturday.
My Wednesday test shows TSH: 6.75 and T4: 22.4
Is it possible the tests could be as different between four days?
I am couple days prior to my period and the pms is really bad. Not sure what is my thyroid impact? I also suffered with a bad cold last week ... also I don't know if that would have an impact on my test results?
I only been given TSH and T4 results. Both tests have been done early afternoon.
Shall I keep taking the same dose ... I am ssing my GP tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seeing my GP tomorrow.
It's about three years when they are trying to stabilised my thyroid and I have to be honest it's not going well.Many thanks,
Monica
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.
Monica,Yes. The test results can change that much in such a short time period.The PMS should not impact your thyroid function test results nor should your cold.I hope they get things figured out soon...I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.Thanks in advance,Dr. Rick MD FACS