Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have recently been diagnosed with sub-clinical

Customer Question

I have recently been diagnosed with sub-clinical hypothyroidism. Although my GP has informed me my levels need to be >10 for me to receive treatment.
I have read on several sites that there are circumstances in which sub clinical hypothyroidism should be treated. Pre-pregnancy and during pregnancy. Also where the patient has symptoms or other autoimmune issues. As I suffer with RA and I am planning a pregnancy I don't understand why my GP is not considering treatment.
Is it worth me seeking treatment in the private sector - I really don't want things to deteriorate before the issue is addressed.
Thanks!
Category: Endocrinology
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have also read that Thyroid tests should be taken first thing in the morning as this is when the results produced are most reliable. If this is the case is it possible that my TSH is actually higher as my bloods were taken late afternoon?Thank you!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Over the last 18 months my RA has been impossible to treat and I have recently been moved onto Biologics (Cimzia). I am now starting to wonder whether some of the symptoms could be the result of my Thyroid... Is this possible?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 6 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.
HelloThyroid problems do not cause RA.Low thyroid can make your pain worse, and can make it more difficult to stabilize.This is easy to check.Have your doctor order a TSH and T4If the TSH is over 2.5 you might have hypothyrodism.If you also have thyroid antibodies, very likely. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/