Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I had a blood test done to check my level of growth hormone.

Customer Question

I had a blood test done to check my level of growth hormone. The result was 0.3ug/L. Is this normal, or low? I have been having many symptoms associated with Adult growth hormone deficiency.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the report with you?

If yes, can you please attach the report on here or mention the reference range of the lab.

Was this a random blood test that you had?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this was a blood test for growth hormone levels that I decided to have done because my GP didn't agree with me.
I have attached the report.Regards, *****
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

What are your symptoms?

Please let me know.

Kindest regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
symptoms include:
extremely dry skin, incl. eyes
hair loss/thinning
missed periods
extreme fatigue
lack of strength
loss of concentration
low energy levels
low heart rate
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

There are three main possibilities in your case:

1. Low thyroid hormones -- which I am sure your doctor must have tested. If he has not tested it then I would recommend having this test done.
  2. Perimenopause -- this is in fact the most likely cause of your symptoms as you are around the age where ovaries stop functioning. This would be a proven by a blood test that checks the FSH hormone in the body along with estrogen. If proven, treatment would be with hormone replacement therapy.
  3. Low cortisol levels -- this is an unlikely cause since it is uncommon but if the above tests are normal I would recommend having a test done to rule this out.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would also appreciate if you could just let me know about the result of the blood test I sent to you. Is this level normal?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

It is normal or slightly low.

Nothing alarming though.

I do not think this is the cause of your symptoms i.e. the growth hormone.

Kindest regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi, I do appreciate your response. However, I don't think this is the case. The problem is that I have 3 children aged 20-24 who are all experiencing the same problems that I am.
My son began losing hair at 18, my daughters are also losing hair and it's thinning. Everyone suffers from extremely dry skin/scalp. They have all developed pigmentation, their eyesight is worsening, the girls have periods every 4 months or more. They all suffer from lack of concentration which has taken them from being A grade students to lower. If they didn't have these problems I would agree that in my case it could be pre-menopausal, but this cannot be true. Please could you help me try to establish why we are all suffering in this way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention that I too have developed pigmentation on my face and back, as have my children.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

I understand your concerns but none of what you mention is related to growth hormone deficiency.

However, in your case, there is no harm in using growth hormone injections for a few weeks to see if it would help with your symptoms.

You would need a referral to an endocrinologist by your GP.