DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Endocrinology Expert
55099014

Afternoon, although I am quite healthy, do 2-3 hours a week

Customer Question

Afternoon, although I am quite healthy, do 2-3 hours a week in the gym, and enjoy a good mindful diet, I suffer from sever loss of libido, difficulty in starting and maintaining erections and generally have little interest in sex. I quite often don't initiate sex due to feeling that I would find it difficult to maintain. I also feel quite lethargic and tend to fall asleep when I sit down at any time of day! I am 53 next month and although take 20mg Citalopram for depression and anxiety (it seems to help those symptoms) I have had no major illnesses or health issues to date.
My GP doesnt seem interested but did prescribe vit D over a year ago because my blood tests showed it very low. Subsequent blood test (which I had to insist on) did not see a rise even after taking daily dose for over 6 months last year. I now use D supplement (supermarket type) and go on sunbed once a month.
Any advice?
Ian
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this question
I suspect you have low T and sleep apnea

The sleep apnea is common in obese people and it can also cause low T

get a sleep study and get your T level checked

it is important to do it at 8 AM

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Thanks for using justanswer.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response. Just to add, I am 6'3" tall, weigh just under 14 stone (UK) /90Kg, have a (UK) BMP of 24, have roughly a 17" neck size, fat @18%, overall quite slim and long limbed. Last year my weight was about 15stone/96Kg with fat 21% but got that down by doing weights at the gym and managing my diet better removing processed foods as much as possible and removing added sugar. I am down to a large handful of belly fat which I am trying to reduce. I am also at the low end of acceptable parameters for blood/sugar (family history of diabetes). I also have seen body hair loss over recent years - mainly off legs, arms and eyebrows! Although I am known as being quite laid back, I have quite a stressful job as a Telecom project manager and have had relationship issues for some years with my wife now wanting to restart the relationship after being estranged, which is quite a stressful journey for which I have had previous counselling to understand my feelings.I will go back to my GP, but just wanted to be clear what I should be focussing on without seeming like I am self-diagnosing which UK doctors tend to react against!. If you can clarify what I should persue with my GP, I'm happy to sign off with recommendation.
Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've also carried out some sleep tests with an App which shows I'm hardly getting six hours sleep per night and have recorded myself ceasing to breath for around 20 plus seconds before choking a few times each night. I don't recall doing this but the app shows I'm quite restless while sleeping. I also fall asleep during the day which isn't helpful!
ian
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

The 17 inch neck might put you at risk

And some folks just have apnea. They are built that way

low testosterone should be checked too. So get a sleep study and a Testosterone at 8 am level