Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

I am 58 year old female. I started the menopause at 38 years

Customer Question

I am 58 year old female. I started the menopause at 38 years of age and had my last period aged 43. I suffered from exceptionally heavy blood loss throughout my menstrual cycles. I have had a very low libido for @ the last 10 years. I am fit and active however no matter what, I am struggling to lose/maintain my weight. I currently weigh 72kgs (165cm height) and feel most comfortable @ 62-64kgs. I work out three times a week, swim 1km x 3 per week, walk the dogs, work, etc.. I am conscious of my nutrition and eat a balanced diet but do have a drink each evening and treat myself within reason. Even if I diet I lose about one kg in the first week and then my body seems to 'adjust' and within the next week despite still dieting and exercising I have put the weight back on. I asked for my Thyroid to be tested last year and the results came back as 'normal'. I asked for them to be re-tested six months later as I was suffering with 'air-hunger' which was impacting my endurance for swimming. The doctor told me there was no need to re-test and diagnosed me with exercise induced asthma and I was provided with an inhaler, which hasn't made much difference. Since then I have had surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome which came on very suddenly. I believe that despite my Thyroid test presenting as 'normal' (Serum TSH 1.52mU/L, Serum Free T4 11.4pmol/L, Vitamin B12 - 348ng/L, Serum Folate -7.4ug/L, Serum Ferritin -41ug/L), there may be other tests that possibly may indicate a thyroid problem? I am considering seeking the advice of a private endocrinologist.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

Those are normal thyroid test results. There are no tests that will uncover hypothryoidism when screening is normal. Most causes of moderate overweight issues are not due to thyroid disease. Most patients who have thyroid disease do not even lose much weight after going on replacement. Im sorry that is not the answer you may want but it is accurate. Seeing an endocrinologist for a consult may help for other reasons, but not this one. Good luck.