Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Please could you advice. I'm 46 yrs 222lb at 5 ft 6. Non

Customer Question

Please could you advice. I'm 46 yrs 222lb at 5 ft 6. Non smoker all hormone thyroid and adrenal function tests are ok. However I do a highly physical job as a self employed physio, walk daily 2 miles, cycle 2 x per week and do Pilates. All on a diet of 1500 kcal per day or less. My weight is not shifting. By 7pm in physical drained. I have a little energy until lunch time. My eyes are dry and toenails brittle. I'm not vitimin deficient as get out daily in sun and take supplements D, calcium & K2. I have a lot of thyroid indications but do not test positive? Can you suggest my next step?
Category: Endocrinology
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sully enter I take are, 2 day multi vitamins life extension which have high levels of all essential. Resveratrol, L Carnosine, CLA, co q 10.
I eat only good food, meat and loads of veg. My cheating would be a 100g bar of chocolate. I'm not a junk food lover. I'm loosing about a pound a week but with my daily activities it should be 3-4 pounds. My skin is not dry however I look after my skin. Fingernails are not dry.
Main problem: very slow weight loss, tiredness to extortion daily, dry eyes that go red by end of day. Gout controlled with allopurinol, kidney function tests good but only right functions 70% due to recurrent infection as a child.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hysterectomy last Jan with removal of left ovary. They wanted to remove both but I refused.. At the time I had adenomyosis & ovarian cysts that were ongoing functional. After Hormones were just a little low in oestrogen. Now have oestrogel daily. I noted testosterone levels were in high/ normal range from my tests. Since hysterectomy I have had no problems in that area.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you think it would be worth me seeing privately an endocrinologist?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 5 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.

This is Dr. David

that is good you are loosing a pound a week.

go with dark chocolate with less sugar.

added sugar and high fructose corn syrup is the worse for you and adds on fat to your liver and increases your triglyceride levels and increases your risks for diabetes and heart disease. so no sodas and watch the added sugars in food.

work on adding weight training and lifting weights which can break down muscle and help grow muscle size and help you burn more calories.

you need to change up your workouts as well

the body can very easily adapt to the same workouts

do you snore at night time? snoring can be a sign of sleep apnea which can cause less energy.

at age 46, you could also be having declines of your estrogen levels which can cause less energy.

what has your most recent TSH levels been?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your advice. I cut all diet drinks from my diet April 3 months ago. I now only drink water, 100 ml pomegranate juice daily and approx 3 coffees per week. Fructose has never been apart of my diet. My son is coeliac so everything is cooked from scratch. No bread or cakes in my house. I hate crisps (potato chips) hate fast food.
This's past 3 days I have lost 2lbs but only eaten 400 kcal to do that. It is all getting a little radical. Aparantly I snore occasionally but I do sometime wake up fighting to breath like someone has had a hand over my mouth. My father had sleep apnoea and had to have his tounge shortend he was stopping breathing in sleep tests for 10 mins. Is this something that can be passed on?
My hormones should be good now since I have the eostrojel ( bio identical hormones) although hasn't been tested for a year.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry I have had a busy day. A phone call would be good but I will be busy until 5:30 pm since I'm fully booked with patients today.

if your father had sleep apnea, you could have it as well.

loosing weight can help with sleep apnea

but you may benefit from a CPAP machine to help blow air into your lungs to help you sleep better.

you should keep exercising and change up your exercise routine.

the body gets tolerized to one type of exercise and it becomes less effective for you over time.

it takes me months of intense exercise and cross fit to loose a few pounds.

so you have to keep at it.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have tried a COAP when training many years ago. There dreadful machines. If that were the case I would use my medical insurance and have an operation. Many thanks for your suggestions.

you are welcome

let me know if you have other questions

if done, please leave positive feedback

do you see the ratings area?

thanks for using JustAnswer.com