Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Thanks for the response, while if I had simple sleep issues

Customer Question

Thanks for the response, while if I had simple sleep issues that could be cured by regular sleep hygiene , yoga and a bit of exercise, I must stress that yoga and exercise are impossible when I have this urge/ need to sleep.
Every activity becomes impossible while I feel this urge to sleep.This has been occurring badly for two years, the only relief is that I occasionally feel slightly more alert after 7pm when I get some work done, but after 2 hours sleep in the daytime I should be rested.Naps have no impact on my ability to sleep at night , although this is restless.There must be something going on other than simple sleep hygiene or being neurotic about my sleep.
Michael
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. David

you should see a doctor and get a sleep evaluation.

there are sleep specialist who can evaluate your sleep and sleep habits and your energy levels

taking naps are a bad idea and cause you not to have good deep REM sleep at night time

regular exercise can help you sleep better at night time and have better energy during the day.

having good sleep hygeine is very important.

avoiding computers and cell phones and TV in bed can help you sleep better at night time.

let me know if you have questions.

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 4 months ago.

Different expert here.

I am a double board certified clinical doctor, meaning I have taken hands on care of patients for over 20 years.

I will be glad to help you, and I have a different answer.

You are describing possible narcolepsy.

For a health person, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a nap.

In fact recent research shows them to be of benefit.

You need to first be checked by your primary care doctor [GP] to rule out problems such as thyroid disease, obesity, anxiety disorder, etc. All of these can be treated.

That would be done prior to any sleep specialist accepting a case. You would need a referral if this is needed.

A sleep study can be ordered by your reqular doctor as well, this

should also be done right away.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am awaiting results from a psg.My GP prescribed 10mg amitriptaline to help sleep while referring to see a neurologist for narcolepsy.The amitriptaline did help for the first two nights, and I felt more rested the next day, though I did take a nap. But I was more alert.
However, after the third night, I had the sleep paralysis again and vivid dreams and constant waking up, with choking with my mouth guard.
The next day, back to square one.I had nearly hoped that the amitriptaline had allowed me to get a deep sleep.The nhs in the uk has long waiting times, usually two years.
If the results with the sleep test are negative then is the next stage neurology to test for narcolepsy.My fear is adrenal fatigue, however, I did notice with the amitriptaline I felt more energy all day, initially, is this a placebo response?
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 months ago.

HI.

The sleep test will test for narcolepsy.

The amitriptaline might still be at a low dose and can be increased.

It is not likely to be a placebo response, but that is possible.