Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I am going through the menopause and have hot flashes and

Customer Question

I am going through the menopause and have hot flashes and agitation. My cortisol levels are low and am producing T4 but low conversion to T3. I am very act muscles and joints all over. I also have a low basal temperature. Low progesterone is it that or do you think it is the thyroid though GP states it is fine.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

All these symptoms that you mention are most likely due to menopause and not thyroid problem.

For a thyroid problem to be diagnosed your TSH level should be deranged.

If the thyroid hormones are low the TSH should be high and if the thyroid hormone levels are high the TSH should be low.

We do not rely on the thyroid hormone levels itself but rely on TSH as thyroid hormone levels are frequently inaccurate.

So, considering your age and your symptoms, the most likely cause seems to be menopause.

Medications such as tibolone among other hormone therapies are very commonly used for such symptoms and are pretty effective and that is what I would recommend doing.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end and then submitting your rating as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.

Kindest regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have more questions.

It is only when you rate me, is when I am credited for helping you out.

Please do rate me, if possible.

Kindest regards