Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My wife is undergoing Radiotherapy for a bowel tumour. She

Customer Question

My wife is undergoing Radiotherapy for a bowel tumour.
She has a stoma and experiences diarrhoea.
Her blood Sodium levels are reported as low.
She is told to drink lots of water (3 litres per day) to keep her blood pressure up.
Is this amount of water likely to flush salts from her system and if so what steps can be taken to rectify this.
All the above adds to the tiredness she feels due to the Radiography treatment.
Your comments would be much appreciated
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David

I am sorry your wife is having diarrhea.

she needs to take in both fluids and sodium to help her blood pressure and her sodium levels to go up

she can add salt to her water or drink salted sports drinks like Gadorade

she can also salt her foods and take in more salt in her diet.

if she just drinks plain water, this can drop her sodium levels

but if she eats more salt in her foods this can help bring up her salt levels and help bring her blood pressures up.

she can also use anti-diarrhea medications like Imodium to slow her bowels down

she should avoid raw fruits and vegetables which can worsen diarrhea. if she wants to eat these, she should eat cooked fruits and cooked vegetables.

foods like bananas, rice, cheese, breads can constipate her as well and she can eat those to try to slow down her bowels.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your reply for which I give rating of 4 out of 5
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do not require any further assistance thank you

thanks for that

do you see the ratings area where you can leave positive feedback?

thanks for using JustAnswer.com