Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have recently had a private test (blood sample) completed

Customer Question

Hi, I have recently had a private test (blood sample) completed and the results were fine apart from a higher reading on reverse T3 which was 0.64. After visiting my GP he requested I have further bloods taken and my thyroid test came back fine although I don't believe they had tested the rT3. The result of my blood test revealed I have Gilbert's Syndrome. The reason I had the tests completed in the first place was due to the fact that I believe I suffer with some of the symptoms experienced by hypothoridsym. It also appears that some of the symptoms are similar to those that have Gilbert syndrome although I understand that these symptoms are not widely recognised as being linked to Gilbert's Syndrome by the medical profession. I am a 43 year old female and over the last 2 years I have been trying to loose weight but have in fact put on weight rather than lost it. I have changed my diet over the last year and eat lots of protein, fish, vegetables, fruits, nuts etc but also allow myself treats so I believe my diet is generally healthy. I would like to know if it would be worth me referring my symptoms to an endocrologist to investigate further.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 months ago.

Can you please post your result on here for me if possible.

Kindest regards

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi,Please find attached my results for the Thyroid test. It was after this test that my GP sent for further blood tests and established I had Gilbert's Syndrome.I would really like to know if there is a connection between RT3 and Gilbert's syndrome and whether this may have an impact on the fact that I am struggling to loose weight despite eating a healthy diet.Thank you for your help.Kind regardsSam
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 months ago.

Sorry for the last response as I was away for a while.

Your test reports are good.

The main thing that we look at in the thyroid function is the TSH.

Your TSH is perfect.

So I would not worry about the slightly deranged level of the T3 that is shown.

Your symptoms i.e. struggling to lose weight is not due to this particular lab report.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end and then submitting

your rating as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards