Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

On 12 August I had an NHS TSH test resulting in 3.81. No

Customer Question

On 12 August I had an NHS TSH test resulting in 3.81. No action recommended by doctor. After some research I took a private blood test resulting in TSH of 6.75, T4 15.67, T3 5.5. I feel terrible. My hands are always white with cold. I have raised cholesterol which I have never had before. I have gained nearly a stone in weight with no change in diet or activity. I am either crying hysterically or laughing like a lunatic. My muscles ache and I have damaged my knee. Please advise. Thank you.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

What are the units of the blood tests results?

I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back.

The TSH is really only reported in one set of units, mIU/L. However, the T4 and T3 can be reported in a couple different sets of units.

The TSH is mildly elevated. There is strong evidence that treatment of a TSH that is >10 is beneficial. A TSH elevation that is not >10 is considered a mild elevation, and treatment would be guided by the levels of T4 and T3 and whether symptoms are present. Interpreting the T4 and T3 levels would require knowledge of the units by which they were reported. However, in someone with typical symptoms and a mild elevation in TSH, it would be reasonable to consider a trial of thyroid replacement medicines.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.