Dr Adi
Dr Adi, Professor
Experience:  Director of the Pediatric Diabetes Clinics at UCSF.
56602461

My GP has put my thyroxin dose down to 100mcg a day x 5 days

Customer Question

My GP has put my thyroxin dose down to 100mcg a day x 5 days and two days of the week at 75 mcg (She suggested Saturday and Sunday). I previously tried to drop to 100 mcg a day for a month and I put on half a stone in weight, developed a goitre and felt as if I was wearing lead boots so when I went back up to 125 mcg for a few months, on which I felt fine and lost the half stone I had gained on the lower dose..however at my last blood test last week she said it was too high again and wanted me to go back to 100mcg thyroxin a day and 75 mcg at weekends (for 2 days a week).
My serum TSH level was 0.07 mU/L ......0.35 - 5 00mU/L
and serum free T 4 level was 24.2 pmol/L ....11.00 - 23.00 pmol/L
on my last blood test
(prior to all changes had been taking 150 mcg a day for years)..Would this above test result look like I need to drop to 100 mcg a day x 5 days and 75 mcg on two days a week do you feel?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 9 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 9 months ago.

This is Dr. David

TSH levels of 0.07 is too low and means your thyroid hormone levels are too high.

you do need to go back down on your thyroxine dose.

you want your TSH levels between 0.3 and 3.0 range.

you should work on regular exercise and eating healthier to help improve your energy levels

getting proper sleep can help your energy levels as well.