Dr Adi
Dr Adi, Professor
Experience:  Director of the Pediatric Diabetes Clinics at UCSF.
56602461

I have a high parathyroid and calcium blood levels. I have

Customer Question

I have a high parathyroid and calcium blood levels. I have been taking lithium for major depressions for about 4years it seems to be the only drug that has helped.my GP referred me to an endocrinologist at the request of my psychiatrist who wants me to be checked for parathyroid tumours. The endocrinologist phoned my GP saying he didn't need to see me and to tell my psychiatrist to stop the lithium. Given how ill I was pre lithium (hospitalised ) my psychiatrist is reluctant to stop the lithium until the parathyroid is checked out . I've got to say I agree with him.
The hyperthyroidism was discovered after I visited my GP complaining of thirst peeing loads heartburn sore joints and headache.I have also been feeling fuzzy headed and my memory is bad. I am 56years old female obese and have an underactive thyroid . Hope you can advise thanks Fiona
Category: Endocrinology
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My vitamin D levels are also low and I have been prescribed vitamin D capsules recently for this .
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 8 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 months ago.

This is Dr. David

what is your parathyroid hormone level? what is your thyroid stimulation (TSH) hormone level?

lithium is used to treat bipolar disorder, not major depression.

biploar disorder, depression, anxiety symptoms can cause fuzzy head and poor memory.

acid reflux can cause heart burn. you may need stomach acid reducers and to change your diet for your heart burn.