Medicaldoctor
Medicaldoctor, Doctor
Experience:  I have worked in diabetes as a medical officer for more than 2 years.
17287913

I'm not sure if it is an endocrinologist I need,but I have a

Customer Question

I'm not sure if it is an endocrinologist I need,but I have a number of long term conditions and need some advice
Assistant: Any recent weight loss/gain? Are you excessively thirsty?
Customer: 1) I struggle to control body temperature, I am a 67 year old active male - gym 3 times a week still play field hockey etc my weight is realtively constant at around 75kgs and I'm around 5'9" I'm not excessively thirsty I also have a number of issues that couldjust be age related or maybe not - I find it difficult to put on muscle mass and also I find that my skin doesn't repair as well as I would like, or it should
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Always led an active life and had a number of accidents during work,so minor injuries and also I had shingles alongtime ago which scarred a cornea in my right eye and I have a 35year old graft
Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: The key thing about the temperature is that if I get cold, I lose my core temperature and the only way to get it back is to go to bed and regenerate. I tend to be in long sleeves when everyone else is in T-short and shorts ALs o my daughter (now 29 yo) has the same symptoms
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Medicaldoctor replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to justanswer.

Cold intolerance or feeling of excessive cold can be a sign of Hypothyroidism,Though it has many other signs and symptoms like fatigue,weight gain,increased sleepiness but feeling cold is one of the main features.

You should consider getting your thyroid hormone levels checked in order to rule out thyroid hormone anomaly.

Please do let me know if you have any questions

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Already had my thyroid hormones checked 2 or 3 times they always appear within normal range, both the standard tag and the other "t4" I think it is. But I'm not sure whether "normal" is an all inclusive range or wether people can fall outside of this. Can you comment?
Also can you comment on the fact that my daughter also suffers from this?
Finally could it have any link to my apparent inability to regenerate my "skin" effectively. I have nodular purigo and it has hung around for about 10 years
Regards Dave

1.Normal thyroid hormone levels mean that TSH,T3 and T4 levels are in normal range and it is conclusive.

2.Your daughter also having inability to maintain temperature at times suggest that it could be related to genetic makeup.

3.This does not have any link with inability to regenerate skin and nodular prurigo.

You should ideally be keeping a check on your temperature with a thermometer and document your temperature every time you feel cold.

If you are having documented episodes of hypothermia then it could be related to problems with

thermoregulatory mechanisms.

For this detailed workup including hormonal profile and evaluation by an endocrinologist is required.

You should consult an endocrinologist for these symptoms.

I hope this helps.

If you still have any queries do let me know.

If done for now please do leave a positive 5 star rating by clicking on the stars on top left of this thread