Dr Adi
Dr Adi, Professor
Experience:  Director of the Pediatric Diabetes Clinics at UCSF.
56602461

I'm a 53 year old female.After over two years of pain in my

Customer Question

Hi I'm a 53 year old female.After over two years of pain in my thoracic are of my back plus shoulders my physio requested X-rays and blood tests.Xrays showed degenerative arthritis, but GP was concerned about high calcium levels and low vit D.After lots of blood tests ruling out parathyroid problems, I have now been referred to an endocrinologist in Hereford hospital.As the waiting time is months would it be worth me going privately as I'm fed up of being in constant pain, permanently tired and terrible memory.Would be relieved to have your opinion.
Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: No injuries sitting /lying used to make pain worse,but it's now there all the time
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No. I quite fit and active
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. Saleem replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

So does the pain involve both your shoulders ? Does it involve the spine in your neck too ? Thoracic spine too as i understand.

Any other joints involved ?

Is the pain constant through out the day? Does oit ever wake you up at night?

Any morning stiffness?

What all have you tried so far ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
pain in both shoulders and 'fizzing ' sensation down arms....why would high calcium have any bearing on this
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
pain in both shoulders and 'fizzing ' down arms.Why would too much calcium in blood cause this or is it not related

Have you had an MRI done on your neck spine? Degenerative bone disease leads to decreased gap between adjacent vertebrae and this can cause nerve compression . Nerve compression results in pain and tingling in areas supplied by those nerves.

You will need Antiinflammatory medications like naproxen alongwith nerve pain medications like pregabalin , gabapentin etc.

If there is significant decline in bone mineral density then bisphosphonates can be required.

Calcium rises in blood as the bones dissolve ,its not a direct cause of pain as such.

Let me know if you have any further queries on this