Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

I wonder if you may be able to offer an advice or

Customer Question

Good evening - I wonder if you may be able to offer an advice or information in relation to what I suspect may be an endocrine disorder for my 21 year old daughter. For the last 18 months/ 2 years she has been suffering extreme fatigue, a steady weight gain despite consuming a healthy and balanced low fat low calorie diet with plenty of exercise, low mood, aching joints, pins and needles etc. She has had lots of blood tests recently which concluded thyroid fine but hyper androgen, high cholesterol but scan showed no pcos. She can no longer fit in any of her clothes and is becoming very depressed and I don't know what else to do to help her? Please can you shed any light on this and maybe suggest a way forward.
Thank you so much - Mrs Lisa BrealeySent from my iPhone
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 month ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. What do you mean by hyperandrogen and high cholesterol?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Serum testosterone 2.8 nmol/L
Serum androstenedione 8.5 nmol/L
Serum sex hormone binding glob 250nmol/L
Serum folate 3.5 ug/L
Serum Lipids cholesterol 6.2 nmol/L
LPL cholesterol 4.3 nmol/LThank you
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 month ago.
Hello. This doesnt give me any information as it doesnt give the normals for the lab. Do you have the actual report.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
https://patient.emisaccess.co.uk/medical-record/shared/baaa5a34-b3a1-e711-b2c2-005056b545deThis link should give you access to test results - thank you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
7837 is the access code required
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 month ago.
No that does not work and we cant access your personal reports nor should you post personal information. This is a public post. You just need to copy the reference range into your note above
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please see attached file
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for attaching that. I see a lipid profile but no hormone results. The lipid profile notes it was not fasting. Which makes it completely invalid. It must be done after a 12 hour fast.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you- I have attached the hormone ones now too
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 month ago.
Very high testosterone. In a 21 year old, an ovarian tumor needs to be considered, she needs an ultrasound. If not, she should see an endocrinologist. The test results indicated pco with metabolic syndrome.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much - she has had a scan which showed no ovarian cysts
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 month ago.
That's great but pco is still possible
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would this be responsible for the weight gain and if so how would you treat - thank you
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 month ago.
it would. Metformin would help with weight loss and pco. But the weight gain is essentially what causes the pco.