DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Endocrinology Expert
55099014

I have recently been diagnosed by my GP with subclinical

I have recently been diagnosed by my GP with subclinical hypothyroidism (with a TSH level of 4.0). I have been prescribed levothyroxine - 25 mg/day. I am concerned that this level is too conservative to begin with and will have no impact (I am female, 36 years, weights 60Kg, no heart conditions to other medical conditions). I would appreciate your advice.
Assistant: Any recent weight loss/gain? Are you excessively thirsty?
Customer: 3 kg weight gain over the past 3 months, not excessively thirsty. weight normally stable
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, very healthy otherwise - though experiencing some fatigue.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 month ago.

that level can be adjusted

it is a good starting dose

I wouldn't go any higher than that right off the bat

is this helpful?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your response. I was concerned as a friend of mine is a gp and suggested that she would start on a much higher dose of 100mg/daily (she said that was the current guideline for sub clinical patients of my gender, age etc). But good to have a second opinion. Thank you
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 month ago.

Oh no way! You can throw someone hyperthyroid with that dose

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/