Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My daughter had a numb arm for two months and they found one

Customer Question

My daughter had a numb arm for two months and they found one lesion at the top of her spine. She also had a lumber puncture. Without much consultation or explanation at all they prescribed her 500mg of predesolone over five days with no taper. 75 per cent of her arm came back in that time but a day after stopping the steroids she had a terrible withdrawal reaction. She could hardly be roused and her body went into some kind of shock. Three days later as slowly started to wake up her body went numb from top to toe, she cannot feel her skin at all. Her bones and muscles are ok, just her skin. She cannot walk without a crutch and only very very slowly and for a short time. She has nerve pain and is now on a high dose of of painkillers for that. She is exhausted and pale and her life has been completely devestated.
She has two young daughters to cope with and has had to give up work. The hospital are not helping much and just say there are no new lesions so it doesn't make sense. Someone please help as we are desperate
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 19 days ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 19 days ago.

I am sorry about your daughter

it sounds like she could have a slipped disk in her neck causing pinched nerve and numbness of her arm.

steroids are good to decrease swelling in the spine.

but need to be tapered down slowly when stopped to prevent steroid insufficiency in her body.

it sounds like she would benefit from an MRI scan of her neck and upper back spine to look at bones and nerves and disks in the area to look for pinched nerves.

let me know if yo have questions.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I said she has had an MRI scan. Also it is not just her arm anymore it is her whole body from top to toe. I'm sorry but I did say this ��
Expert:  Dr. David replied 19 days ago.

I see.

did she get a brain MRI scan?

I would get copies of her MRI scan reports

I would be happy to review them with you

make sure the MRI scans were performed with IV contrast

if she has numbness, she should ask her GP doctor to refer her to see a neurologist nerve doctor for nerve testing.