Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  I have special training and certification in Diabetes management for last 10 yrs.
23744323

Im 18 years old and over the past year abused steroids. My

Im 18 years old and over the past year abused steroids. My natural testosterone levels have dropped dramatically and im worried wheather they’ll improve or not in the future. Ive quit steroids nearly 5 months now
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Do you have the test results to upload here?
Testosterone panel should be checked with free T and SHBG levels as well.
Also thyroid function test should be checked.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I got a blood test last week, I got the results over the phone and my results came back as normal but when I asked specificslly for my T level they said 12.1, Im not sure what prolactin level is or if its related but they said it was 446. Personally I want to see a specifialist bevause even though they came back as normal, I can feel from everyday living that they’re way lower that they used to be when I was 16/17 before steroids
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 month ago.

The best option will be serial measurements at the intervals of 6 to 8 weeks.

Usually your testosterone level will gradually improve since you are not using any anabolic steroids currently.

Over a period of 12 to 18 months your level will go back to age appropriate normal level.

It is also important to find out free T level as that is most important for normal T functioning in the body.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A friend told me that they may be something possible to kickstart my testesterone levels? And secondly would it be any use to ne to take clomid ofor a short period to help?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 month ago.

Usually we do not recommend taking any medication to try to stimulate testosterone level so soon as there are side effects as well.

HCG injections or clomid either option is valid to improve testosterone level short term.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What sort of side effects are there from medication to stimulate testosterone levels.And how will clomid or hcg injections only work for the short term? If they improve my T level back to normal will I not be able to maintain these high levels?Thanks
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 month ago.

Clomid works by reducing protein bound t and hence increases free T level --the most active form.

HCG works by stimulating the pituitary testicular axis to produce more T by the body.

The side effects in general can be joint pain, liver problem, hair loss, acne development etc.

Yes your T level will return to normal faster with medication use.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In that case, would it be a sensible plan to visit my local endocrine specialist and ask to get clomid and hcg medication to boost my T levels back to the heights that they used to be and from then on just moniter my free T levels every 8 weeks periodically?You say my T levels will rise gradually again, the fact that im young may be helpful factor but I took very strong and high dosages of steroids for a long time period, and im wondering if it is possible to have wiped out / done permanent unreversable damageThanks for the quick response Dr Basu
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 month ago.

You should wait another 3-4 months before considering medication.

In the meantime, please get your total and free T level and SHBG level measured about 3 months from now to see any improvement as well.

Best wishes

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sounds promisingThank you Sir
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 month ago.

Very welcome

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-basu/