walkereng
walkereng, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Structural Engineer with over 30 years of experience.
61772417

Wha tfacilities have to be fitted to a gatehouse with two rooms?Eg

Wha tfacilities have to be fitted to a gatehouse with two rooms?Eg ventilation,fire escapes etc?
Category: Engineering
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please continue with your Experts' reply.I look forward to reading it.

Many thanks,

Jonathan Boddy

Hello Jonathan,

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Hello Jonathan,

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Shantal,

Thank you for your message.Please continue with the enquiry.

Many thanks,

Jonathan.

Hello Jonathan,

Thank you for your patience, we will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Hello Jonathan,

Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can return your good faith deposit to the original funding source.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Shantal,

Please proceed with the enquiry.

Many thanks,

Jonathan.

Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.
I should be able to help.

Can you explain your project in a bit more detail?

1. What are the sizes of the rooms?

2. where are you located?

3. How many occupants will be in the structure?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Sir,

The original enquiry was based around a previously unmanned gatehouse which is now manned 7 days a week during the day.My enquiry was triggered by the fact that the building in question has only one entrance and exit,access to the second room being gained by one internal door.Neither room has any ventilation arrangements whatsoever,all the windows being fixed.Furthermore.there is no permanent heating fitted inside this structure,nor any toilet facilities.The second room has no fire exit,ingress and egress being confined to the internal door mentioned above.I would estimate the size of each room to be 15 to 20 feet square.It would seem that the decision to leave the building unmanned was taken during the initial build,but now this is no longer the case I was wondering what would need to be done to make the structure fit for purpose.This gatehouse will normally be manned by one person.In addition,the first room contains electrical cabinets,and I fear that,in the event of a fire in one of these cabinets,the person manning the gatehouse could easily become trapped,for the reasons of limited access mentioned above.The gatehouse is located at a commercial premises in Swindon,Wiltshire.

Many thanks for your assistance,

Best regards,

Jonathan Boddy

Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.
I will answer your concerns in order. I am using the 2012 International Building Code as reference.

1. A building of this size can have a single exit. As long as the occupant load is less than 50 and the maximum travel distance to an exit is less than 75'. You can exit through one adjoining room to exit.

2. "Section 1203.1 General. Buildings shall be provided with natural
ventilation in accordance with Section 1203.4, or mechanical
ventilation in accordance with the International Mechanical
Code." There must be a window that is able to open or there must be mechanical ventilation.

3. "1204.1 Equipment and systems. Interior spaces intended for
human occupancy shall be provided with active or passive
space-heating systems capable of maintaining an indoor temperature
of not less than 68°F (20°C) at a point 3 feet (914
mm) above the floor on the design heating day." There must be a way to heat the gatehouse. It does not have to be air conditioned though.

4. For the toilet facility issue, the code allows the Building Official to make specific requirements for unique occupancies like this. The code here in Ohio does not require a restroom as long as there is one within 500' of the occupancy. For this case, as long as an arrangement is made for the person who occupies the gatehouse to be able to have a location they can go to to use the facilities or a portable toilet is provide nearby, I think you would be fine.

5. I do not feel there is an issue with fire from the electrical panel. If something in the electric panel starts to short out, the occupant should have plenty of time to exit this small structure.

I hope this information is useful.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks
walkereng, Bachelor's Degree
Experience: Structural Engineer with over 30 years of experience.