Patience
Patience, Internet Researcher
Experience:  MA Clinical Psychology; BS Health Sciences
61840635

Low carbon steel is to be cold-worked by bending and forming

Customer Question

Low carbon steel is to be cold-worked by bending and forming components from sheet metal, to produce a dcar door panel. Explain how this method raises the hardness and UTS of the material
Category: Engineering
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can return your good faith deposit to the original funding source.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Expert:  Patience replied 2 years ago.
.Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com and for waiting until I could access your question. I have include the explanation for your query below.

Please rate the response so that I can be credited for giving you the information. After that, I will be happy to answer any further questions you may have about this process. Also, please let me know if I can help with any other queries.

My best regards to you, Patience P

Cold-working steel strengthens the metal and increases its ultimate tensile strength (UTS) by manipulating the crystalline structure of the metal at low temperatures. Stress-induced microscopic deformations to the metal from the bending, which are referred to as dislocations, cause a rearrangement in the lattice of the metal. As the material is worked and the dislocations increase, the material eventually builds up a resistance to forming additional dislocations. The dislocations change the average crystallite size, which leads to the Hall-Petch effect. That is, the grain boundaries eventually impede dislocation, and this translate into the material having added strength.