walkereng
walkereng, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Structural Engineer with over 30 years of experience.
61772417

As a draughtsman I need to draw an entrance drive cut into

Customer Question

As a draughtsman I need to draw an entrance drive cut into a bank and need to show a sectional view with the correct levels represented.
Is there any new GPS technology that I can use to plot the levels.
I am aware that you can get a 3D plot via google earth but the detail for the levels would be too inaccurate for this small area.
Category: Engineering
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
You are correct, there is not a real accurate way to do that with a Google Earth or aerial GIS image for just a driveway.
To be accurate, you would need to go in the field and take some surveying shots to get your baseline elevations then work from there.
Sorry there is not an easier solution.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply

Can you explain the process in a little more detail please.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
You do not need an entire survey, you just need relative elevation shots right near the area you want to draw your cross section.
This surveying equipment is very costly, but you can look for companies in your area that may rent it by the day.
Here is a weblink to the type of equipment you would need:
http://www.trimble.com/Survey/GNSS-Surveying-Systems.aspx
With this equipment, you will walk around your site and and place the pole at the locations you need an elevation from and then click a button to collect that point. Once you have done that, you can use their software to download the point data and import it into a CAD program for plotting.
Your other option is to get a local surveyor to come out and do some really quick data collection for your localized area and they can send you the file to import in your CAD system.
I hope this helps.
If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each appropriately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Sorry for the delay in responding but thank you for your response again.

Can you explain to me what relative elevation shots are and how to get them. Also can one use simple surveying equipment taking heights from

a datum point. If so what is this equipment.

The high tech equipment is far too expensive to hire.