Rev Dr August Abbott
Rev Dr August Abbott, Adult Etiquette Pro
Experience:  40 yrs: Etiquette teacher,Formal event officiate, announcement author
1604863

I was holding a dinner party recently and personally do not

I was holding a dinner party recently and personally do not know much about wines. A friend and his wife who are very keen on wines and very generous presented me with a bottle I later googled and found out it was about £230-250.00. As I knew they were
going to give me a decent bottle I opened it and after decanting and letting it breath served it up. They looked surprised. what is the correct thing to do when someone gives you a good bottle, to open it there and then or to graciously thank them and put
it away?
Category: Etiquette
Expert:  Rev Dr August Abbott replied 1 year ago.
First, please accept my apologies for your wait on an answer here. Apparently a glitch somewhere moved your question out of sight and this is the first I've seen it. You did what most people would do, and rightly. However, given that this couple were more schooled in the art of wine it would have been gracious to openly ask them to show you how this bottle would be best served. It would also have been flattering for you to say something along the lines of, "I'd probably save something like this for a special occasion, but I feel that in this lovely company, that occasion is now" Ultimately you did nothing wrong and perhaps that look of surprise was because you actually did open it rather than secret it away. Since we cannot lure back yesterday by any means, tuck this away for future reference when someone brings you anything that the giver is reportedly more expert with. People always love to be flattered by being included or deferred to and it's such a simple, yet memorable thing to do. Again, thank you for being so patient and understanding with regard to the delay on this.
Experience: 40 yrs: Etiquette teacher,Formal event officiate, announcement author
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your explanation