Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Industrial Tribunal Judge
Experience:  11 years experience as a judge with Paris Industrial Tribunal
46873171

I am looking for EU regulations covering the importation of

Customer Question

I am looking for EU regulations covering the importation of sporting equipment by a Sports Club or Governing Body and any exemptions from VAT or import duties for such equipment. The situation is that my International Federation has donated competition dragon boats to Cyprus, to help develop the sport and for competitive use. The boats remain the property of the International Federation. The boats were made in China and for shipping and Chinese tax purposes are show as having a residual value. The Cyprus customs do not accept this valuation and say that they will charge VAT on the commercial purchase price of the boats because there is no EU regulation that excludes sporting equipment from VAT or import duties. They have taken an arbitrary value from the boat manufacturers' web site and want to charge over Euro 7000.00 in VAT. Money which neither the International Federation or the Cyprus Association has. What are the EU regulations for such donated equipment, if any ??
Category: European Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Nicola,

No that is fine, I can wait longer for an answer and if you need any more information from me, then please let me know.

Mike

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No problem, I guess you are in the States from the email time or if not working very late in the UK !!

I am in the UK - needs must regards working time!

Expert:  Thegonnec replied 3 years ago.
The rule is that the equipment be charged based on the usual commercial price. If they were donated, the customs will take the manufacturer's list price as a basis for VAT calculation. Usually they would also have to add the price of shipping to this list price if it is an ex-works price.
If this list price is not the price at which they are commonly sold in the EU, you need to obtain documentation either from the manufacturer or from its agent in the EU, certifying that the usual average price for this boat is lower (copies of invoices, quotes, EU catalogues,...).

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, you may compensate the Expert by rating their answer as satisfactory; however, if you still need help with your question, please feel free reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As the boats were originally purchased by a third party in China as a part sponsorship from the manufacturers and then donated to Cyprus, can I assume that documents showing the actual cost to the International Federation in China- effectively the cost price of manufacturing the boats, should be acceptable to the customs in Cyprus. A similar shipment of boats to the UK was accepted on this basis and the VAT charge was therefore low.

Expert:  Thegonnec replied 3 years ago.
The actual price paid in China by the International Federation, including full cost for the manufacturer (not only manufacturing costs), plus cost of transportation to Cyprus should be acceptable if it can be documented. If no invoice was issued, customs are entitled to request that the tax basis be "reconstituted" as I described in my first answer.