Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Industrial Tribunal Judge
Experience:  11 years experience as a judge with Paris Industrial Tribunal
46873171

I am contracted to a company and they supply me with cash to

Customer Question

I am contracted to a company and they supply me with cash to purchase scrap metals for recycling. I work all over Europe both in EU and non-EU countries. Whilst in Vienna, Austria recently I had my work bag with 10,000 Euros, and a lot else, including personal items in it stolen.

The European CEO has told me that I am personally responsible for the monetary loss, claiming that according to a clause in the contract I am as he said 'the custodian' of their money.
Category: European Law
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 3 years ago.
If your contract with this company specifies this, you are indeed responsible for the cash remitted to you. This means that you must take all measures to protect it from theft or destruction and be insured in the case of such an event. If you are not insured and you lose the cash remitted to you, you are liable to reimburse this company fully.
This is a standard clause.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Currently I am on business in Switzerland can I copy you the contract so you can look over it and advise me of any other clauses or points in it that could be interpreted to my detriment? For example how enforceable as a contractor is the exclusion clause I have done this work for 12 years surely no one can take my livelihood away from me if I choose to disassociate myself from them?

Expert:  Thegonnec replied 3 years ago.
One would indeed have to read the contract you signed.
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 3 years ago.
Hello, the document enclosed shows only the first page of the contract.