Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Industrial Tribunal Judge
Experience:  11 years experience as a judge with Paris Industrial Tribunal
46873171

I was signed off sick with a flare up of my Crohn's disease

Customer Question

I was signed off sick with a flare up of my Crohn's disease since September 2014 but in March this year I had to start working from home under the guidance of occupational health doctor as I could not afford to be on half pay. My medical condition has got worse in the past few weeks and am currently on strong medication and awaiting my next hospital appointment.
When I spoke to work initially about working from home I explained that I may have days where I can't work in office hours or at all and that working this way would allow me to work evenings and/or weekends to cover the hours required. This was also discussed and agreed with the occupational health doctor. However, my head of department has since said that any days that I can't do any work I have to take as a sick day. I'm not happy about this as it is not the agreement I had but I'm not sure where I stand on this. I have been called in for a meeting with HR and my line manager tomorrow and am worried about this issue.
Category: European Law
Expert:  commissure replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David
I am sorry that you are having these health issues with your crohn's disease.
are you wanting to ask a question of a medical doctor about a medical question?
or do you want to talk to a lawyer and ask about a legal question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure if it is a medical question or a legal one - I need to know where I stand with my employer regarding the situation.
it sounds more like you need to speak to an employment lawyer about your rights as a working to be able to set flexible work hours because of your medical condition.